1938
Starring:
Jackie Cooper as Chuck Brennan
Maureen O'Connor as Norah
Kathleen Burke as Julie Stone
Bill Elliot as Dr. Allan
Lesser Roles:
Marjorie Main (Mrs. Mary Brennan)
Guy Usher (Fog Horn Brennan, aka 'Foggy')
Robert Emmett O'Connor (Police Officer Rourke)
Boy of the Streets takes place in the slums in New York (?) around 1938, when it was made.
Norah's mother is ill, and is sent away by the very nice Dr. Allan to recover in the country. Teenage Nora is afraid the child services will find her living alone and send her away from the place she has lived her whole life. Chuck (methinks he likes her ;-) tries to help her find a job, singing at a local cafe. She secures the job, but after the first song, the child protection services discover that she lied about her age and decide to send in an Investigator in the morning to talk to her parents and possibly take her away. But alas, Norah's father died years ago, and her mother's in the country!
In the mean time, Chuck finds that his father is not employed, like he said he was, and so falls in with bad company.
And now I'll leave it as a cliff hanger, as I always do. =D
I enjoyed this movie, except I thought the ending was rather...interesting. You had rising action, a great climax, and then I thought it fell rather flat at the end. But don't take my word for it. Go out and watch it! I think y'all'll like it.
This movie is available on tcm.com for $9.99 (link) or Ebay (link) for between $6.38 and $7.14. Netflix also has this movie.
Happy movie watching, peoples!
~Kiwifruit
2 comments:
When will you post about a movie I've actaully seen? : ]
Good post BTW. I think that movie sounds good.
Yes, my family is obsessed with old movies like "See You In St. Louis", or "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm". It is amazing I have never seen any of those movies. :)
Awesome new blog, BTW. It's a cool idea.
~catfreak70
Post a Comment